Sunday, April 3, 2011

Mixed Doubles Lesson And I Forgot To Blog My Lesson Last Monday

I will start with last Monday:


3/29/11--Lesson With K.--Concentrating On The Follow Through



K. has been riding me about my follow through for about two years now.  He has been on my case for so long that I forgot what he used to tell me to do to encourage a good follow through.  He is suggesting I "catch" my racquet way over my left shoulder every time I hit a forehand.  I bet he first told me this three years ago.  Writing down his suggestions is a good way to remind myself about my follow through goal.  I have really practiced catching the racquet all week.  On my backhand, which is one handed, I should concentrate on following up and out and mirroring that motion on my off hand.  He is not adamant about me changing my backhand because he said my style is unique and that he hates to mess with it.

4/3/11--Lesson With Suzette--Mixed Doubles

S. thinks the key to mixed doubles is the serve, the return of serve and the third ball following these two shots.  On a second serve, placement is really important.  A softer serve to to middle of the box is just not going to work.  The serve should be angled and/or deep.  There are two logical returns of the serve:  a rally ball or a extremely angled ball.  It is important to not return a high ball over the middle.  Your cross court will cross the middle but it needs to be low so that it is not poached.  Don't forget to step into the return and split step as the server hits the ball. 




No comments:

Post a Comment