Sunday, March 27, 2011

Mied Doubles Lesson

3/27/11--Lesson With S.


When playing mixed doubles, women have trouble returning men's serves and men have trouble returning women's serves.  Women often can't handle the pace of a man's serve and likewise men can't handle a soft ball and tend to over-hit.  This is from improper footwork.  S. stressed the need to split step.  If you are not hitting the ball, then you should be split stepping. Return a serve with a neutral or rally ball.  /you can only hit a neutral ball if you are balanced up.


We also worked on faking out your opponent or going for a poach.  The server's partner has two choices:  fake a move (which has to be a big movement to distract the opponent) or go all the way for a poach.  There is no choice to just stand there. n When going for a poach, lead with the foot that is towards the ball, and then cross over with the other foot. 



1 comment:

  1. I know, footwork is so important, but sometimes I find myself just standing there. When I watch the pros, I am amazed at how their feet are always moving. Of course getting my feet to move constantly is another matter!

    ReplyDelete