Monday, February 14, 2011

Volleying and More Volleying

Lesson With K.--2/14/11

Today we worked on a volley combination.  The first shot is a volley from the service line.  This volley needs to be deep to elicit a weak reply.  Then the next shot is an extreme angle.  On the first volley, follow it in to a certain extent so that you are in position for the next volley.  For me, I need to remind myself to keep a firm wrist.  The racquet face should be up at the completion of the shot.  The racquet needs to be upright during the execution of the volley.  My first volley is hard and sometimes I don't expect that the ball will be returned, but I need to keep ready for the next shot.  I need to concentrate on footwork and stepping into the shot.  This is what makes a volley go deep.


We practiced serve and volley.  K. said that this is more of a doubles maneuver.  Unless the opponent is having a lot of difficulty returning serve, serve and volley will not work because there is too much court to cover.


Then we did our fast volley drill.  I have the most trouble when the ball is coming right for my body.  I need to use better footwork to get away from the ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment