Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Never Turn Your Neck Without Moving Your Feet

2/23/11--Lesson With J.--

Have you played doubles with a partner (or you yourself) who sees the ball whiz past and the partner (or you), just turns his/her neck to watch the ball sail past.  This is wrong, wrong, wrong.  If you need to turn your neck, move your feet and get into position for the next ball.  This is a good general principle to follow.  So, never turn your neck without moving your feet.


We worked on serving while having our shoulders at a 230 degree angle from the net.  This allows the server to get more spin and more bite on the ball.  There are three ways to stand:  facing the net, perpendicular to the net and greater than perpendicular to the net.  If you stand at a more acute angle, then it is really important to use a continental grip rather than a forehand grip.  (Note to self:  change to a continental grip.)  I asked J. if I have a neurological deficit that makes me use a forehand grip on my serve.  I notice that he did not answer me.


J. says I need to be able to play singles and hit 5 to 6 times over the net before I try to put it away.  He says that there is a choice to hit the ball with more control and less pace.  So far, I seem to be resisting this path.  He is hoping I can possibly follow his advice.


We practiced hitting volleys through the "goal", i.e., down the middle between the two opponents.

No comments:

Post a Comment